Otplasty at clinic «Virtus»: ear auricles shape correction
Otoplasty is a general name for a serious of plastic surgeries for ear auricles reconstruction. Largely, this definition applies to plastic surgery performed to correct ear size, shape and any existing asymmetries, as well as everted ears and other deformities.
Problems related to the irregular shape and size of ear auricles have purely psychological origin and frequently cause the development of personality complexes. Modern surgery allows treating and eradicating this defect once and forever. Furthermore, cosmetic ear surgery is not a difficult procedure.
Correction of ear auricles shape allows eradication of almost all possible types of external ear congenital deformations, acquire nice looking and accurate ears and at the same time avoid any signs of operative treatment.
Moreover, the surgery provides a life-long result.
Otoplasty indications and contraindications
Because of the fact that the process of the ear formation is finished at the age of 4-6, cosmetic ear surgery may be indicated for both children and adults. Approximately at this age can be seen different congenital anomalies such as: cup shape ear, sticking-out ears, excessive size or absence of antihelix, incorrect location or deformation etc.
As a matter of fact, whenever otoplasty is necessary, the age between 4 and 14 is considered to be the best for ear auricles correctional treatment:
- Cartilages demonstrate high elasticity and compliance to the shape change;
- Children and adolescents are more susceptible to appearance deformities with associated mockery on behalf of agemates what can lead to asociality, psychological traumas and mental lability.
The surgery is considered to be necessary in case the angle between the head and the ear auricle exceeds 30°, however there are other indications as well:
- Everted ears (sticking-out ears);
- excessively high or low set ear auricles;
- large ear size;
- distorted shape of ear cartilage;
- ear auricles immaturity;
- ear auricles asymmetry;
- congenital or acquired deformities, ear auricles injuries.
- inflammatory ear diseases, other inflammatory processes;
- cardiac disorders;
- blood-clotting disorders;
- thyroid gland disorders;
- oncology diseases;
- immune system disorders, its low activity;
General recommendations prior to the surgery:
Patients pass some examinations, submit blood and urine tests, have cardiogram and X-ray tests as well as visit anesthesiologist.
Presently, you are any time welcome to have a professional consultation by clinic “Virtus” specialists regarding otoplasty in Kiev, Odessa, Dnepropetrovsk, Kherson, Nikolayev.
Different methods and techniques of ear auricles correction
Since the first description (over a century ago) of correcting congenital ear auricles deformations have been developed around 200 different methods which were united into 2 large categories depending on the surgery goal.
- reconstructive – correction of congenital deformation, partial/complete reconstruction of ear auricles (consequences of intrauterine growth, traumas);
- esthetic – esthetic correction of unattractive ear shape or size, sticking-out ears, pointed, ear lobe bifurcation etc.
In the course of operation, the surgeon may practice different techniques; the choice is based on the peculiarities of anatomical organization, deformation causes, state of cartilage and skin around the ear auricle, degree of deformity and the desired result.
Otoplasty is performed under local or sometimes combined anesthesia.
Classical correction may be performed using two basic techniques:
- The surgeon makes an incision just behind the ear at the most unnoticeable area (behind the ear auricle) in the natural fold where the ear is joined to head and then reshaped. The surgeon changes the shape of cartilage or placed closer to head. The cartilage is secured with thread to keep it at the new position. In some cases, the excessive cartilaginous tissue must be removed;
- The second technique implies removing some skin at the ear area while the ear auricle cartilage is bent backwards. The cartilage itself is not removed. Its new position is secured by sutures that remain inside permanently while the incision is closed by dissolvable sutures.
During the follow-up period, patients may experience some swelling at the operated site, little pain and temporary change in sensitivity.
In order to ensure the best result, patients are recommended to wear the dressing for 1,5-2 weeks (24 hours for the first postoperative days, then only before going to bed). It is also recommended to avoid thermal procedures, minimize strenuous physical activity and have regular follow-up examinations at the clinic.
Postoperative regenerative processes are usually fast in patients of any age. However, if there is a wish to accelerate the process, clinic “Virtus” offers a chance to order innovative individual program of AMC-therapy based on application of own growth factors and oligopeptides, extracted from the patient’s platelets in maximal concentration in laboratory environment.
AMC-therapy is 5 times more effective than traditional treatment!
What is the price for the ear auricles plastic surgery?
The price for otoplasty as well as other correction procedures, is determined on individual basis and depends on various factors such as: volume and type of the operative intervention, complexity of the correction. The final payment is received only after the doctor’s consultation.
Definitely, in case your choice is laser otoplasty, the operation price will raise but the outcome worth is!