Skin new growths (papillomas, miliums, warts, atheromas, keratomas etc.) are skin defects, that may cause considerable esthetic discomfort. They may also create difficulties on the physical level due to the presence of nerve endings inside new growths so even accidental mechanical action may be painful.
Skin new growths often claim attention on behalf of specialists, they are divided into benign, precancerous and malign.
Complex structure of skin cover includes cells of different tissues, and any of them has a certain risk to transform into malign. Therefore, above all it is extremely important to identify the type of the new growth – benign or malign. The further choice of treatment algorithm depends on the test results.
The Institute of plastic surgery “Virtus” widely practices cutting edge, minimally invasive operations of newly growths removal at the highest professional level. It can be laser removal of lipomas, keratomas, papillomas, miliums, birthmarks, laser atheroma removal, hemangiomas, lymphangiomas and other types of new growths.
For example, highly professional laser removal of lipomas allows ensuring not only their enlargement, avoid pressure on the adjacent tissues, skin cover necrosis in the area of the new growth, but also their recurrence on skin.
Nature of new growths and their types
Skin new growths vary in their nature and causes. Papillomas – are resulted by human papilloma virus which is inherited by child from mother or transmitted sexually. Genes or “misprints” during embryonal development are responsible for birthmarks and nevuses formation. Warts are the result of viral skin disease, mostly of benign nature.
Nowadays skin new growths can be removed fast and pain free.
However, it is worth clarifying that specialists of clinic ”Virtus” are always extremely careful towards the decision-making process, based on scientific approach and common sense.
It is important to understand which type of formations can be removed harmlessly for the organism, what are the root causes of the problem and methods of its effective treatment, which method can be maximally helpful in EACH INDIVIDUAL CASE.
At the stage of establishing diagnosis, the doctor determines the type of new growth, need of surgical removal, optimal method of removal, and considers other key aspects.
This approach has earned trust on behalf of our patients and we are always open for discussion and solution of their problems.
You can get the detailed professional consultation by Vitrtus clinic specialists in Kiev, Kharkov, Donetsk, Nikolayev, Dnepropetrovsk, Kherson and Odessa. Surgeries are performed by surgeons at the Institute of Plastic Surgery “Virtus”.
Clinic Virtus provides surgical removal of:
- naevus (birthmarks);
- molluscum contagiosum;
Indications for skin new growths removal
Indications for removal are divided into two categories – medical and cosmetological
- medical: for the cases when skin pathology is localized at the sites of maximal liability to trauma (to prevent melanoma development) –shaving areas, feet, elbows etc.; The same indications concern those viral skin diseases that do not self-heal.
- Cosmetology: skin defects corrections based on patient’s esthetic understanding.
New growths diagnostics at the Institute of plastic surgery “Virtus” is based on ABCD algorithm of skin melanoma diagnostics :
- А – asymmetry;
- В – sharpness the new growths borders;
- С – color;
- D – number of dermatologic elements.
Special formula allows GDI (general dermatoscopic index) calculation which is used for evaluation of skin tumor grade and provide objective case follow-up.
Application of this algorithm considers the data of medical history and clinical aspect of the disease.
Diagnostics includes the following measures:
- first consultation – patient finds out all the circumstances of skin disease origin, possibility of the new growth enlargement ;
- digital dermatoscopy – skin new growth visual diagnostics under high magnification by means of innovative device – dermatoscope. Apart from other dermatoscopes of leading European manufacturers, the clinic has at its disposal the unique videodermatoscope “FotoFinder dermoscope” (Germany), definite medical “high-tech”, widely recognized choice of the World leading medical centers:
- highest image quality FullHD;
- optical magnification mode from x20 to x70;
- high quality comparative analyses of the acquired images allows identification even minor pathological changes during follow-up observation;
- Moleanalyzer expert software implements unique algorithms of dermatoscopy analyses specifics, that open up wide possibilities of melanocytic growths diagnostics. By no means this is complete list of innovative medical equipment advantages;
- ultrasound skin examination (as well as high frequency sonography) – noninvasive, safe, pain free and modern way of skin new growths diagnostics, allows seeing skin and subcutaneous fat cross-section as far as the muscle fasciae, helping to determine the depth of the new growth and choose the best way of removing it. All the collected data is saved in electronic format;
- confocal laser skin examination – noncontact, totally harmless method that allows analyzing epidermal tissue and papillary layer with the resolution maximally close to histological. Confocal microscope offers two unique possibilities: tissue analyses at the cellular level in a state of physiological functioning and demonstration of cellular activity in 4 dimensions – height, width, depth and time;
- Consultation of oncologist – is necessary even in case slightest assumption of tumor malignancy, in order to choose optimal treatment tactics;
- Consultation of plastic surgeon – whenever necessary to remove skin growth along with parallel correction of post-surgery defect.
”Virtus” is the first Ukrainian clinic which started practicing early melanoma diagnostics as well as other malign tumors detection, informing about the importance to create “skin passport”
Electronic passport of skin health (EPSH) is available in any developed country of the world, and this tendency is related to the rapid increase of skin oncologic diseases.
Created at clinic “Virtus” skin passport allows oncologists accurate and well documented (dermatoscopic pictures, displaying dimensions, shape and color of patient’s new growth) follow-up the evolution of new growths, expert judgement to determine the current state dynamics.
Such a unique opportunity as creating skin passport became possible thanks to the high qualification of our specialists as well as modern diagnostic equipment and software available at our disposal.
The clinic also holds regular autumn and spring days of melanoma prevention.
Clinic “Virtus” was the first in the south of Ukraine to join the World day of melanoma, organized under the guidance of WHO. According to the special promotion, that day any patient can come to the clinic and get consultation with examination of the new growth absolutely free of charge!
Methods of new growths removal
Depending on a number of factors provided below, the specialist identifies the best way of removing the existing skin condition:
- Surgical removal is performed by plastic surgeon (surgeon oncologist) in case of the condition malignancy;
- laser removal is performed by dermatologist by means of innovative device Er:YAG laser MSL dermadlate (made by Asclepion, Germany).
Surgical removal of new growths
Surgical excision – indications based on the new growth type:
- lipoma, atheroma;
Surgical excision – indications depend on other factors:
- size of the skin condition: in case it occupies large skin area (1cm in diameter and larger) and/or quite deeply located thus limiting laser access;
- associated surgical procedures: in case the skin condition is related with other type of intervention;
- nature of the new growth: malign skin conditions require strict observation of oncologic guidelines. Mostly, the existing defect requires removal by means of plastic surgery.
Depending on the new growth type and other factors may be used different methods of removal:
- Thermocoagulation – is treatment by means of special metal loop, heated up to high temperature. This method is often used for papillomas, birthmarks and miliums removal.
- Diathermocoagulation(HF-coagulation, radiosurgical approach, electrocoagulation, radioknife, radio-wave surgery, radioscalpel) – coagulation by means of high frequency electric current. This method is often used to remove fibromas, papillomas, warts, acanthoma verrucosums, nevuses, angiomas.
- Cryolysis – is the method of tissue destruction by means of freezing it with liquid nitrogen. This is an effective way of removing skin warts.
Sometimes is used a combination of these methods: for example cryolisis with thermocoagulation associated with mild pain, typical for cryolysis though offering indisputable effectiveness of thermocoagulation. Alternatively, surgical incision if followed up by laser resurfacing, offering the possibility to get the material for histologic study without the need of suturing.
Laser removal of new growths
Laser removal of skin pathological conditions – one of the most advanced technologies.
Such methods of operative treatment as laser lipoma removal, laser removal of atheroma and other new growths offer essential advantages:
- pain free, absence of postoperative pain;
- total control over the evaporation process, laser light penetration depth, fluence;
- possibility of selective use of laser light;
- fast procedure;
- no need of tissue destruction;
- fast healing of the treated area;
- no bleeding;
- no risk of infection.
- pathologic conditions caused by papillomavirus, (condylomas, warts, papillomas);
- epidermal, intradermal and verrucous naevus;
- age-related lentigo;
- molluscum contagiosum;
- seborrhoeic keratosis;
- cutaneous horn.
Cost of skin new growths removal
The cost of skin new growths removal is evaluated by the doctor’s consultation on individual basis after. The operative treatment price depends on a number of factors: type of new growths, volume, method of removal chosen by physician, amount of required work.
In each case, removal of skin new growths at clinic “Virtus” using modern methods is fast and painless, while cutting edge cell technologies determine considerable acceleration of after treatment recovery process.
Reasons to visit clinic “Virtus”:
- careful diagnostics using the most up-to-date technological developments in medicine allows observing existing problems “in full view” and choose maximally effective treatment strategy;
- Laser, radio-wave and other modern technologies available today at Institute “Virtus” allow removing any new growths with maximally positive esthetic result. Without a trace on skin or unpleasant memories;
- Additionally Institute of plastic surgery “Virtus” offers innovative, unique technologies, that became available thanks to the regenerative medicine development. Specifically, maximally effective treatment of skin problems with fast postoperative recovery we recommend AMC therapy – program developed on individual basis. The therapy is based on autologous growth factors and own oligopeptides application, extracted from patient’s platelets in maximal concentration.
Results of clinical studies demonstrated 5 times higher effectiveness of cell technologies treatment comparing to traditional therapy.