Calf implants or lipofilling are best suited for leg sculpting and for increasing the size and enhancing the shape of the calves.
- Bowleggedness (Genu varum);
- Disproportional calf development, causing aesthetic discomfort;
- Muscle imbalance;
- Congenital disability, postsurgical, posttraumatic hypotrophy or acnemia;
- Front and back calf surface «folds»;
- Aesthetic dissatisfaction with shape and/or volume of lower legs when it is impossible to build up muscle mass in the course of regular physical exercises, to emphasize the calf muscles relief;
- «Skinny/chicken» legs;
- Emerging infection diseases;
- Insulin-dependent diabetes;
- Haemophilia and other coagulation failures;
- Lower limb devascularization;
- Chronic active visceral diseases;
- Complicated skin diseases;
- Autoimmune diseases;
- Genu varum (bow legged) and genu valgum (knocked knee) cannot be fixed by calf implants surgery only if this is the case of orthopedic alignment.
Calf implant operation at Virtus Institute of Plastic Surgery
Correction of bowed legs is performed by means of special up-to-date implants ordered by clinic Virtus individually for each patient.
In order to select the proper calf implants, the surgeon considers various individual factors such as: patient’s health state, age, skeletal structures definition and calf muscles. The surgeon also determines the right implants size and shape as well as optimal positioning on each leg, based on his assessment of the patient’s anatomical proportions, and then properly sculpts and places the implant, thereby anticipating the outcome after the surgery.
Currently, the most common implant material used for cruroplasty in Ukraine includes silicone gel and saline. However, solid silicone is now the standard material for calf implants thus cohesive silicone gel calf implants are successfully used at Plastic Surgery Clinic Virtus.
The Implants are supposed to be both sufficiently elastic (due to the constant alteration of calf shape as a result of calf muscles deformation when walking) and firm.
These implants can be shaped as desired, which is particularly advantageous for treatment of any calf deformations. A volumetric gel that is made of cohesive silicone won’t migrate to other areas if the implant is somehow ruptured. Cohesive silicone gel calf implants are also preferable for their natural feeling.